Sunday, November 1, 2009
Halloween & snow in Beijing!
First snow in Beijing on the first of November; almost sounds kind of poetic, huh?
It snowed all morning and for most of the afternoon. The weather changed so rapidly over the past couple of days. I didn't do anything today except stay in my room and do my homework while watching movies on youku.com. It was nice; I'm going to miss having pretty much any movie I want to watch at my disposal. I watched The Ugly Truth, half of Phantom of the Opera, P.S. I Love You (I was on a bit of a Gerard Butler craze after watching the Ugly Truth) and I just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I LOVE that movie. It's a strange and whimsical movie, but I love it.
Yesterday was Halloween and I went out with a few girlfriends to celebrate Halloween the Chinese way. Halloween isn't widely celebrated in China, but it is observed by the younger generations because of all the Western influence in Beijing. So, one of the amusement parks in Beijing, Happy Valley Amusement Park hosted a Halloween party last night where you pay 60 kuai (less than $10 USD) to get into the park and rides are free and unlimited until 10pm and that was where the six of us decided to go. It took a while to get there because the park is on the other side of the city, and we got there late and there was a TON of people already there. The lines were super long and it was freeeeeeeezing. We spent most of our time waiting on line, and we ended up only going on two rides: bumper cars and free falling. The better rides weren't even open, so no roller coasters. It kind of sucked; I couldn't feel my body because it was so cold and then it started to rain. We left around 10:30 or so, and it took us forever to get a cab because there were so many people~! Originally, we had wanted to go meet up with some people at a bar or something in Sanlitun, but none of the cab drivers wanted to go to that area because it was so trafficky.
I ended up sharing a cab with two of my friends back to the area near my school, hoping to get some KFC since none of us ate dinner. Unfortunately for us, it was already closed when we got there. Sooo, we attempted to find a McDonald's, but I gave up and took a cab back to school because the rain picked up and I was freezing and tired.
Worst Halloween night ever. This just reaffirms my apathy towards Halloween. Now I like it even less.
I even dressed up for it, but no one really saw the costume because I was wearing my jacket the entire time. Four of us dressed up as the Ninja Turtles; I was Raphael! We bought green T-shirts, dark green tights and different colored stockings to make our eye masks and wrist bands and stuff. I was skeptical about looking like the Ninja Turtles at first, especially because we weren't able to find anything for our turtle shells. But when we put the eye masks on and stood together, we totally pulled it off!
It sucks that our costumes went to waste on a failed night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
looks like Beijing beat Rochester. no snow here yet =D And don't worry.. I got you good candy so you can recreate halloween when you get back and trick or treat at my room!!
Post a Comment