Monday, May 3, 2010

Three: Career path

Dear Non-profits,

Please hire me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Christy

I've applied to a decent amount of non-profits organizations over the course of this semester. So far, I haven't heard back from anyone. It's a bit demoralizing. It makes me feel discouraged and a bit reluctant to continue applying. How long must I have to deal with the lack of responses?! I've been updating my resume and cover letters constantly. Am I under qualified? Over qualified? What is it?! Please let me know. It's better than me, sitting here and wondering which one it is.

A lot of people have been asking me what my plans are for after graduation. It's a question that has been haunting me all semester. I honestly don't have any plans. I'm not going to grad school. I don't have a job lined up. I'm moving back home and that's the only thing I am certain about right now. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do and where I want to be. I'm almost certain that I want to stay in New York (though California wouldn't be bad) and I want to work for a non-profit organization. I can't really see myself working for a large corporation or business firm. That's not really me. Even though non-profit organizations can't afford to pay me $60K, I'm totally okay with that. My mother, on the other hand, is not too happy about that. But honestly, what college graduate makes $60K a year right off the bat? Not many. I really want to do something great; I want to work for a great cause and implement social change, whether it be through a historical society or a museum or an organization whose mission is to spread arts education to inner city students.

This question of what I am going to do with my future has been bombarding me with a fervor these last few weeks. It's tiring. I'm trying, all right? I'm trying to figure out my life. Just let me figure it out first. I promise I'll let y'all know.

No comments: