Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My first award ever!

Thanks Annie for the award!! It made my day, haha.
I'm passing this award to: Camille, Lan, Cindy, and whoever else sees this post! :)

So, today was my first official day at NMAI. And while I had hoped that everything would go smoothly, I quickly learned that nothing ever goes according to plan. My day started off pretty un-smoothly because of:
1. The random thunderstorm at 3 AM this morning that scared the bejeebus outta me.
2. The fact that I woke up super early to squeeze in some swimming before work (so I was reeeeally tired)
3. The new "work appropriate" shoes I bought yesterday hurt my feet. Oh, the joy of breaking in a pair of new shoes ;p
4. The bad, rainy weather that I was not prepared for. Luckily, I was able to meet up with my parents, who brought me an umbrella before I headed off to the subway.
5. And here's the kicker: I was late to work ... on my first day. I wanted to die. Who's late on their FIRST day???? Aghhhh.

But that was just the beginning. The rest of the day wasn't too bad. My supervisors were really nice and told me not to worry about being late today. I didn't do that much today. My supervisor, Dennisse took me around to all the secure doors to make sure my ID card got access to all of them. I felt very official. I met a lot of the staff today too, which also means a lot of names I have to remember! After walking around, I went into the classroom where I'll probably be spending most of my time during this internship, and helped organize all the materials that were ordered for the "Indian Summer" camp. I also began preparing the materials for week 1's activity. Not too much excitement on the first day.

I didn't have a chance to explore the area too much during my lunch break. My feet were in too much distress to walk very far so I went across the street and settled in Starbucks for a while. I was going to go to Chipotle for lunch, but the line was ridiculously long, so I opted out. I'm going to start bringing my own lunch though; I don't want to spend my money on lunch all the time.

So, since I'm in the ARTS Intern program, I not only work at NMAI, but I also have to go visit all the other museums that are in the program as well. I think there are 12 or so institutions involved this year, a lot of which I've never even heard of, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, the director of the ARTS Intern program, Tom mentioned yesterday that I can go visit all the museum institutions in NYC for FREE this summer, AND I can bring a friend with me! How cool is that??! (How much of a dork do I sound like right now?) So, who wants to go visit museums with me??? :)

2 comments:

Frances said...

Hi Christy! Your internship sounds really cool...I hope you're having a lot of fun! I'll come visit you when I'm in the city hehe :)

Angry Asian said...

you are so sweet to give me this award, thank you so much. i am touched and honored.

so glad you've started your internship, hopefully the feet don't hurt anymore and the shoes are fab. :)