So. My first Chinese class was good; a bit intimidating because I am in the highest level here (level 5) and I feel like I don't know as much as I should. We had a quiz this morning (Yeah, on the first day of class. That's China for you) and I totally bombed it. Luckily, my teacher (Li laoshi) is not counting today or tomorrow's quizzes. They're just "trial runs", hah. I have homework to do too. And a lot of new vocab to memorize ... and a passage to read. They are really serious about learning the language here. Last night, we signed a language pledge after dinner, which basically means that everyone in the program has to speak Mandarin Chinese 24/7, with the exception of talking to family and friends. I don't have too much of a problem with the language pledge since my speaking is decent, but I know a lot of other people are having some troubles. This program really strives to challenge us.
Anyhoo, the past couple of days have been pretty busy. On Tuesday and Wednesday, we had two activities called, "Mystery Beijing." Tuesday, we all had to pair up with someone, was given a destination (just the name, no address) and had to use public transportation to get there. I paired up with this girl, Jackie and our destination was the Temple of Confucius. We got a little lost at first, but once we figured out where to go and how to get there, it was a lot of fun. I really like the subways here; they're so much cleaner, nicer, newer, more technologically advanced, etc.
For Wednesday's Mystery Beijing, we got into groups of 5 and did our own version of The Amazing Race, called The Amajing Race (Haha, so corny). It was a lot of fun, and we got to visit a lot of beautiful places; Temple of Heaven, White Dagoba, Bei Hai park and Hou Hai. Unfortunately, my group came in second, but it was a close second! I got some nice pictures out of the excursion but they're not the greatest. The air quality was terrible that day and it was really hazy, so while the view from the Temple of Heaven was spectacular, the smog took a lot away from the scenery.

The day kind of cleared up as we went along, but not by much. Bei Hai park is really beautiful, and Hou Hai is lovely as well. Some things I got to do during the Amajing Race: ride a double tandem bike, attempt to ride on a triple tandem bike, eventually switch back to the double tandem, fall over on the tandem bike (haha ;p) aaaaaaaaaaaand ride in a rickshaw. It was a lot of fun.






No comments:
Post a Comment